Mediterranean cuisine is packed full of dietary power. Check out these powerful food choices from the Mediterranean diet:
1. Fish: Full of protein and omega 3 fatty acids. Fish help reduce the risk of coronary disease, arrhythmia and reduce plasma triglyceride levels (Richmond W. 2001). Omega 3 cannot be synthesized by the body and that is why 2 fish meals per week can keep your heart ticking! Good sources are tuna, mackerel and salmon for example.
2. Wholemeal Pasta: Pasta is full of complex carbohydrates, especially the wholemeal variety. Complex carbohydrates help increase your energy levels, and keep you moving throughout your hectic day.
3. Garlic, Chillis & Onion: Packed full of antioxidants to fight off free radicals. Garlic is the most powerful antioxidant known to man. Combined with chillis and onion you have a fat burning trio that can be used to spice up your food. All three choices help burn fat (lipid peroxidation)and lower blood cholesterols and triglycerides.
4. Olive Oil: Olive oil is again full of monounsaturated healthy fats that help lower bad cholesterol (LDL).
5. Nuts & Seeds: Nuts and seeds like sunflower for example, are full of monounsaturated fat that helps fight the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Try the above foods, that have been tried and tested for thousands of years and lose weight naturally.
John Stevanja is an Aussie born, internationally certified fitness instructor, who has played competitive soccer at the highest levels in the position of goalkeeper. Being well travelled, John has worked in the leading corporate and private gym environments in the UK.